Max Löwenstamm (1814-1881)
Max Georg Löwenstamm was born in Moravia in 1814. He studied Jewish liturgical music in Vienna with the famous Cantor, Salomon Sulzer. His first cantorial position was in Prague (1840), and then in 1842 he was appointed as the Oberkantor at the New Temple in Pest. In 1847 he was appointed Oberkantor in Munich, where he served until his death in 1881. (His successor in 1881 was Emanuel Kirschner.) In addition to his cantorial duties in Munich, Löwenstamm worked as teacher and chairman of the Jewish community and conducted the synagogue choir. A collection of his synagogue compositions for solo, choir and organ, “Semiroth le-el chaj: Synagogen-Gesänge,” was published in Vienna in 1882.